Friday 3 August 2012

What is a Hometown Tourist?

Many moons ago, my then fiance & I lived on my tiny income as a temp in Calgary, while he was going to school full time.  We had enough to pay the bills, but very little extra in the 'fun' budget.  So, in order to take full advantage of our limited resources & because we were new to the city, we spent a lot of our free time as tourists in our new hometown.  What a great way to get to know a place!  We spoke with native Calgarians who had never come across some of the attractions and events we discovered.

Since those days, we got married, moved a few more times & now call Red Deer, Alberta home.  Our son, Owen was born in January, 2011.  I had the pleasure of taking a full year for maternity leave and was able to discover a few places & resources in Red Deer that I didn't know existed.  The other major upside of my mat leave was that I met some great 'mommy' friends.  It was amazing to hang out with these ladies & their kids to discover the world of entertaining babies together :)

I encourage everyone to try out 'Hometown Touristing'. What have you got to lose? Keep checking back for fun ideas!

2 comments:

  1. This is great W. I am so adding this blog to my weekly blog-roll. Awesome posts, very original idea!

    ReplyDelete